Thursday, October 3, 2013

Mechanicum Bondsmen


Just a quick post today to show off a unit I put together and painted last week. After reading Lords of Mars (by Graham McNeill) I decided to turn a unit of Victoria Miniatures' Penal Legion models (that I've had sitting on my desk since Adepticon) into a unit of "below the waterline" bondsmen, the lowest of the low who are press-ganged into servitude in the mighty machine of the Imperium.


This unit is the first of Victoria's models that has been cast in resin, and she is currently going through the process of switching her entire range into resin. The quality of her sculpts is wonderful with lots of crispness and characterful pieces. The quality of the casts was equally great, with only a few areas of flash to be trimmed up during assembly.


As well as the parts to make the squad you see above, there are quite a few other options in the set, including two different torsos for the squad overseer, as well as three different head options. Very cool.

I'm looking forward to the rest of Victoria's range making it into resin. It might be time again to paint a new Gaunt's Ghosts army ; )

Cheers
Dave

17 comments:

  1. Great looking minis, perfect for Mechanicum Bondsmen! I''ve ust finished Lords of Mars as well, great novel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GG. I'm tempted to do more, but might wait until after the rumored IG codex update.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work throughout. Great mini choice for this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks theotto. Victoria's stuff has always been great.

      Delete
  3. Good stuff as always - just started LoM - great so far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manus. So, how do you like your new namesake model from FW?

      Delete
    2. I take it you mean the Ferrus Manus? Had to google it :D Quite cool, but somewhat overdone and too messy IMO. I know he's a primarc and all, but so many cool little detail that ruin it a bit for all the other cool little details.

      Delete
    3. I really like him, but I can see what you mean, perhaps there is too much going on.

      Delete
  4. very cool unit, great idea well executed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I'm keen to see more of her units in resin soon.

      Delete
  5. Amazing work, I spent too long trying to work out which parts you'd converted them from before reading the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yep, I'm glad I didn't have to convert these guys. Made the whole unit a nice little distraction.

      Delete
  6. Excellent work on excellent sculpts, Dave. And I don't just say that because I'm starting to work with Victoria, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, what are you going to be working with her on?

      Delete
  7. Excellent work, spirited and rich of details as usual. Red seems somehow quite a "rich" colour for this scum, I would have favoured something like a german grey. Penal guys are a cool return to the origins of the game... How about Ork madboys, Impee beastmen, Squ... 8)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work Dave! I really love these models, I have the heads myself. I was just wondering, how is your latest Gaunts Ghosts army doing? Your latest update is already so long ago...

    Keep up your good work, it's inspiring to all

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice figures. Fantastic paint job; especially the Overseers with his electric glow and sinister black uniform.

    ReplyDelete