Sunday, April 21, 2013

Something to pass the time...


A little while ago I posted this teaser. I wasn't 100% sure that i'd get around to showing him off to you all, but with my studio lights in Chicago (not due back for another 10 days) I figured you might like to see more.


Here's a composite shot of the early stages of the model. I've used a "dolly" from Reaper Miniatures as the skeleton (and a bunch of the flesh) beneath the clothing and equipment for a mini I'm currently (and enigmatically) calling "Bridge Guard". As you can probably guess, I started at the feet and I've built up and out from there.


Here he is at the last photographed stage. He does have a very Vostroyan feel to him, but he's not really Vostroyan. I've also sculpted a pair of hands for him, so once cast up, he and his clones will be able to hold swords, fusils, axes, standards (and the list could go on).

It has certainly been quite interesting doing this, my first fully-sculpted figure. Hopefully in the next year I'll be able to sculpt a couple more ; )

Cheers
Dave

15 comments:

  1. That's really coming along nicely! I am always in awe of your sculpting prowess - can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, having just spent a weekend talking to some wonderful sculptors like Victoria Lamb and Chris Borer, this piece looks like it was sculpted from play-doh ; )

      Delete
  2. Didn't I just vote for him in the crystal brush awards? Nice work BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Which reaper dolly did you use? I ordered some reaper advanced dollys and was disappointed in the size of them (too small!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at their site, I can't find the exact one I used. But I think it was closest to this one:

      http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/sculpting/a-z/75001

      I hope this helps

      Cheers
      Dave

      Delete
  4. Uhhh.... Dave, for a first sculpt, that is GREAT. Hell, for any sculpt that is pretty great:). Very nice, looking forward to seeing it painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. It might be a few weeks before I get to painting this guy. I have so many different ideas from this cool Adepticon weekend.

      Delete
  5. I really like him, anything in a fluffy hat must be awesome! CN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks go to you Christopher, and your love of fluffy hats.

      Delete
  6. Very impressive. The whole miniature oozes character!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When can I buy one... or an even dozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xi

      Sorry, but I won't be selling any of these at all. There are two main reasons behind this:
      a) While I'm very happy with this as a "first attempt", I certainly don't feel it's up to a "professional" level just yet.
      b) It's look is quite GW in nature, and deliberately so (all will be revealed later), and I'd rather not get into any legal entanglement with GW - many of my good friends still work there : )

      Thanks for the vote of confidence though ; )

      Cheers
      Dave

      Delete
  8. A main work, I have been charmed with the whole process.

    A great greeting Dave.

    ReplyDelete