Sunday, November 6, 2011

Might Makes Right! - Thundertusk and basing


My Thundertusk moves ever closer to completion (thankfully). I must reiterate my previous comments about this kit, it is simply fantastic. So much character, brilliantly sculpted, and wonderfully fit together. It may be the best model kit I've ever worked on.


Here's a look at the faces of the Beast Riders, a wonderful mix of angry and bored, all at the same time.


And it can be just dripping with the little hanging accessories, like the frozen chicken, Orc hand, pigskin, and huge tongue. You'll also see  switched out the regular quiver of massive arrows for the rack of High Elf bolts.


Anyway, on the the base. A few posts back I asked for ideas from you all, and I got some very good ones. I let them roll around in the hobby rock tumbler of my mind, and I decided that while an entire base covered in ice would be cool (no pun intended), I still wanted it to fit in with the rest of my "Spring thaw" basing scheme. To that end I hypothesized that wherever the Thundertusk stepped, tendrils of rapidly growing ice would crackle and spread across the landscape, only to melt as the best recedes into the distance (something like the profusion of life that would spring up in the footsteps of the old Chaos Champion, Aekold Helbrass (thanks for the reminder Mike).

Above you can see what I have come up with.

Step 1 - I traced around the three feet that touch the base, and made a reasonable guess of where the front right foot would have been.
Step 2 - Using snapped off pieces of a clear textured acrylic, I laid out radiating "runners" of ice from the footprints.
Step 3 - I converted an Empire Handgunner as a "victim of the Aura of Frost". He'll be painted up in my Nuln colors.
Step 4 - The footsteps were filled in with brownstuff that was blended into the edges of the acrylic. I also sculpted some up and over the legs of the Handgunner. I plan to paint it all much like the weapons on the Yhetees.
Step 5 - I glued down small clumps of the GF9 medium basing grit, then glued down large areas of the GF9 superfine basing grit.

Now to the long task of painting it.


Here's a small look at the acrylic I used. Thanks go to my friend Thomas for showing me this stuff, apparently it's from a version of the plastic sheeting you see covering banks of flourescent lights. He picked up quite a few sheets at a local Home Depot store for cheap (as they were damaged) and then used them for his Space Wolves army.

Speaking of 40K, I've been refurbishing my Grey Knights and Pre-Heresy Death Guard, getting them ready for sale. Keep an eye out for them in the next few weeks.

Cheers
Dave

4 comments:

  1. Looking good Dave. I like the idea on the base. very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, WOW, WOW. Just fantastic.

    Tony
    http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. طرق تنظيف خزانات المياه البلاستيكية
    طرق تنظيف خزانات المياه البلاستيكية, لشدة إحتياجنا لخزانات المياه لتلبية متطلبات حياتنا اليومية والروتينية من خلال امدادنا بالمياه اللازمة لكافة الأعمال المنزلية التنظيفية وأغراض الطهي والشراب..إلخ، ولكن هناك معايير وخطوات ثابتة يجب ان تتبع لضمان الحماية من خطر تلوث مياه الخزان نتيجة تركة لفترات طويلة دون أن يتم تنظيفية أو ركود المياه بة دون إستعمال فتتكون الفطريات والطحالب والترسبات التى تؤدى إلى تلوثة.

    من هنا نبدأ موضوع حديثنا عن طرق وخطوات تنظيف خزانات المياه البلاستيكية ، لكى تحصل على أفضل الحلول لحماية أفراد عائلتك من أمراض لا حصر لها ، إتبع خطواتنا الصحيحة مع مراعاة الأمن والسلامة أثناء عملية تنظيفك للخزان وذلك للحصول على مياه نقية وصالحة خالية من أى ملوثات لفترات طويلة.
    اقرا المزيد على
    شركة تنظيف مكيفات بمكة
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بمكة
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بمكة
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بجدة
    شركة تسليك مجاري بجدة

    ReplyDelete