Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Glass Porthole Tutorial


A few weeks back I posted a picture of the resin doors for the Incursion game (doors from Fenris Games, Incursion from Grindhouse Games). There was a good response, and a few folks even asked for a tutorial on how I painted the glass in the "portholes"

Well, I managed to paint up a few circles over the weekend, and here is that tutorial.


Basic glass. These were painted in much the same fashion as you'd paint gems.

Step One: Paint the glass with Regal Blue
Step Two: Highlight the lower left two thirds of the glass with a 75/25 mix of Regal Blue/Skull White.
Step Three: Highlight the lower half of the glass with a 50/50 mix of Regal Blue/Skull White.
Step Four: Paint a thin line at the lower left edge with a 25/75 mix of Regal Blue/Skull White, add two dots in the upper right, one slightly larger than the other.
Step Five: Paint with Gloss Varnish.


Cracked glass. These were painted in much the same fashion as the basic glass above.

Step One: Paint the glass with Regal Blue
Step Two: Highlight the lower left two thirds of the glass with a 75/25 mix of Regal Blue/Skull White.
Step Three: paint thin lines of Chaos Black over the glass.
Step Four: Highlight the lower half of each broken section of the glass with a 50/50 mix of Regal Blue/Skull White.
Step Five: Paint a thin line at the lower left edge of each broken section of the glass with a 25/75 mix of Regal Blue/Skull White, add one dot in the upper right of each section.
Step Six: Paint with Gloss Varnish.

So there you go. I've combined Steps One and Two for the first circle in each progression.

I hope it helps.

Cheers
Dave

12 comments:

  1. Would these doors work as an alternative for space hulk doors. my cat thought mine were litter boxes. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice tutorial. I always have trouble when it comes to painting lenses/glass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. quote: my cat thought mine were litter boxes. :(

    lmao..

    nice tutorial- thx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial. These look really sweet. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant, really useful. The gem method is brilliant for eye lenses, scopes and well, gems. But for larger reflective surfaces I was always unsure of how to go about getting a decent effect.

    Thanks for posting another solid tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Page Saved.

    Are you gonna get to the feathered cloak tutorial that was on the list of things to come way back in October? JW since that was the one I was really looking forward too...

    http://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/10/its-cornucopia-of-hobby-goodness.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone!

    @Roland - size-wise I think they'd be fine, but style-wise they're really quite different. A great product though.

    @Tylermenz - I was wondering when someone was going to call me out on that. I'll try to get stuff for it sorted this weekend, as long as preparing for replacing heating pipes in our basement doesn't get in the way ; )

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I was one of those who asked for this - thanks you kindly, Dave! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent tutorial mate, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this great tutorial. I always enjoy checking back through your Blog and this simple and effective tutorial caught my eye - very well done.

    Tony
    http://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial,
    gotta use this soon I think.

    ReplyDelete